The aim of this traffic study was to gain an exhaustive understanding of the current traffic flow on the affected road section, as well as to estimate the generation of traffic from the implementation and study its effect on the environment.
The work carried out to correctly evaluate and diagnose the mobility of the surroundings and the impact of current and future traffic at the service station was as follows
- Compilation of existing data on traffic capacity from the Ministry of Development and the Capacity Map of the Principality of Asturias
- Field work to reinforce previously obtained data:
- Installation of a gauging station with pneumatic tube technology in the trunk between the two roundabouts that form the weight link.
- Installation of artificial vision cameras, with identification of vehicle trajectories and turns.Study of the allocation of future traffic generated by the Service Station following the methodology of the four steps of transport modelling.
- Diagnosis of mobility and Analysis of the Service Level of the surrounding intersections, including the new access proposed, as these are the critical points of a traffic flow interruption such as the one analysed, following the methodology of the American Capacity Manual and with the support of micro-scale simulations.